Thursday 24 June 2010

The student protest

Today i am going to talk about a very particular picture to me. This picture was taken on 24th April am year 2008.

This picture was taken by a photograph that works for the newspaper “La Tercera”. The image shows a young – Luis Silva, the ex-president of the Student Center “Cecso” (Centro de estudiantes de Ciencias Sociales) – who is being arrested by 2 polices, against the bars of the Law Faculty. In the picture we can also see water falling, this water became from the policial vehicle. This vehicle is also known as the “Guanaco”, and is always used by the police during the different protest. This water that the Guanaco throw is not just only water, this water has also “tear gas”. This gas makes that the people cry, and man can´t breathe.

This picture was taken in the context from the successive protest from the 2008 year. This year the student’s organization had a very good quality (but not that good and massive as in the 2006 year), in meetings were together students from the school and the university, and they were organized against the privatization from the state-funded education.

I was in this demonstration too, and I was arrested too. This was my first time detained, and it was very very bad. We were in the front of the Law Faculty and we were thousands of student. Even though we were quiet, suddenly the Guanaco starts to throw water with tear gas. I became in my face this water ad I couldn’t see anything. At the same time, the Student Center from the Law Faculty CLOSED the door from the Faculty, and I with thousand from students were outside, we couldn’t breathe and we were also wet. At this moment, I felt as two big monkeys (two polices) caught me from behind, I couldn’t see anything and rapidly I was in the police vehicle, with Luis and other students from my Faculty.

We were 6 hours arrested. I like this picture because it shows a very intense moment from a very big demonstration. That day 200 students were arrested.

3 comments:

  1. That pic further demonstration of the abuse committed against those who wish to express their opinion on the terrible privatization

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! 6 hours arrested for a protest! ...
    I do not like protests, besides, I am foreign whit visa for student, and I have to renew it every year, and if the police arrest me for any reason would be a big problem for me because I couldn't renew it.
    See you... a hug for you...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Pablo!!!
    Your photo is incredible, since I saw her I recognized Luis, that impressive that this day 200 persons, in this case students have been detained and were well for 6 hours. I never participated in these activities because I do not like to finish 6 hours dam.
    Bye!!!

    ReplyDelete